March 22, 2011

The Next Generation - What are they missing?

I was thinking about my childhood recently, and of all the things I grew up doing that made me, me. Then something occurred to me - our children will grow up in a COMPLETELY different world. Things are so very different for kids today than when I was growing up. Here are a few of the things our children will grow up "missing"...

1. Looking up information in encyclopedias
2. Not knowing what the internet is
3. Using a phone with a cord attached to it
4. Writing notes to each other (they'll be texting instead)
5. Using/viewing movies on VHS
6. Cassette tapes, rewinding and fast-forwarding to get to your favorite song
7. Using disposable cameras, and the anticipation of waiting for your film to develop
8. Walk-mans
9. Turning the channel on the TV without using a remote
10. Memorizing friends' phone numbers instead of finding them in their "contact" list
11. Video games that aren't interactive
12. Hand-writing papers for school
13. Using a card catalog at the library, and filling out a library card to check-out a book
14. Life before reality television

I'm sure there's so much more that I can't think of. Anyone else have some good ideas?

1 comment:

  1. playing computer games! remember all the fun ones we had? titanic was my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete